On the fifth day there was Rub it Downey Jnr from Danny Balboa's Sauce Co. Our Preston Market store was close by to Danny Balboa HQ - cooked and bottled in neighbouring Coburg. When we set about designing our 12 Days of Festive Flavours we knew we had to include them, and being the legends that they are, they worked with us to create an exclusive packaging size just for us. We're super excited to have pulled this off and hope they're a favourite of your count down too.
Perfect fried chicken with coleslaw
1T soy sauce
4T Danny Balboas Rub-it Downey Jnr
2C plain flour
1T chicken stock powder
2T Danny Balboas Snake Oil
Vegetable oil for deep frying
Dill pickles to serve
1 large carrot shredded (use a mandolin)
1 red onion finely sliced
2T whole egg mayonaise
1T apple cider vinegar
1T pickle juice
1T Danny Balboa’s Snake Oil
1T American mustard
2. Meanwhile, put the chicken in a bowl and cover it evenly with soy and half (2T) of the Rub-it Downey Jnr.
3. In separate bowl mix flour, stock powder, salt, and remaining rub. In 3rd bowl make an egg wash with eggs, milk, and hot sauce. Whisk till light and fluffy.
4. Dip marinated chicken into egg wash then flour. Shake off excess. Drop into heated oil and fry till golden and crunchy (approx. 15min or to an internal temp of 165F) Make sure to fry in batches and not to crowd your pan!
5. While your chicken is doing its thing, quickly throw together your slaw. In a large bowl mix together your cabbage, onion, and carrot. In a separate bowl whisk together mayo, vinegar, pickle juice, hot sauce and mustard. Season lightly with salt and pepper before stirring through your coleslaw.
6. When chicken is done serve immediately with slaw and pickles.