Shrove Tuesday is on the way, falling on the 21st of Februrary this year, so we thought now was a good time to get prepared with all the tips and supplies for an amazing pancake breakfast.
- Use a light and fluffy batter for tender pancakes.
- Swap the milk in any recipe for buttermilk. You can make buttermilk in 15 minutes from milk and white vinegar. This will help make fluffier pancakes.
- Let the batter rest to allow gluten to relax and prevent tough pancakes.
- Heat the pan or griddle over medium heat until hot.
- Use a measuring cup to pour batter to ensure uniform size.
- Use a non-stick pan or lightly grease pan with cooking spray or melted butter.
- Flip only once to prevent breaking and wait until bubbles form and surface is dry.
- Keep pancakes warm in a 90°C oven until serving.
- Experiment with add-ins like chocolate chips, berries, or nuts.
- Top your pancakes with delicious fresh fruit and for a native twist, add a Syrup from Melbourne Bushfoods instead of traditional Maple syrup. The Shorthive Honey range is also really great for pancake toppings, with squeezy bottles and the perfect breakfast flavours including Cacao and Espresso.
If you're looking for a quick solution, the Summer Hill Pantry Pancake mix is a great alternative to the supermarket shaker packs, with no added nasties and made with low GI raw sugar.
You can also make your batter ahead of time, and freeze in a silicone tray with extra berries or fillings of choice and make them on the morning over a low heat.
Why do we eat pancakes on Shrove Tuesday? Shrove Tuesday, also known as Pancake Day, is the day before Ash Wednesday and the start of Lent in the Western Christian tradition. Pancakes were traditionally eaten on this day to use up rich, indulgent ingredients like sugar, butter, and eggs before the 40-day period of fasting and sacrifice during Lent. The tradition of eating pancakes is still observed today in many cultures as a way to mark the start of Lent and is often celebrated with pancake races and feasts.
To shop our full collection of ingredients for epic pancakes, head over here.